Person    | Male  Born 21/9/1854  Died 10/11/1922

Mark Hanbury Beaufoy

Businessman and politician. Born South Lambeth, nephew of Henry Beaufoy. Aged 10 he inherited the business. 1881 chaired the meeting at which the Children's Society was founded. 1884 married Mildred. MP for Kennington 1889 -1895. Also keen on game shooting, dogs (follow our picture source for more on his dog interest) and football. Founded the Beaufoy Institute in 1907 and became its first Chairman of Governors. Died in Dorset.

He composed 'A Father's Advice', a verse about gun safety, which includes the lines "All the pheasants ever bred won’t repay for one man dead."

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Mark Hanbury Beaufoy

Commemorated ati

Beaufoy Institute - 2 stones

The phrase "Those that do teach..." is a quote from Shakespeare's Othello, De...

Read More

Other Subjects

Cosmo Restaurant

Cosmo Restaurant

From London RIP "Cosmo, in Swiss Cottage, was a large restaurant in a parade of shops which was divided into two parts - a somewhat Spartan cafe and a much grander restaurant with a more ornate, po...

Group, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Albergo del Pellegrino

Albergo del Pellegrino

This building was used as a hotel, 'The Pilgrim' until about 1930.  It was demolished following WW2 bomb damage.  The photo shows the east side and Byron's window was on the first floor, fourth fro...

Building, Commerce, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Turk's Head Charity

Turk's Head Charity

From the Picture source website: "The Turk’s Head was bought from the Council and renovated by our charity in 1992. Now it provides a café and affordable workspace and the rental income pays our ch...

Group, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

2 memorials
James Perkins

James Perkins

Chairman of the Smithfield Markets Committee, 1888.

Person, Commerce, Food & Drink, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Freemasons' Tavern

Freemasons' Tavern

The first, 1775, building (in the picture) was replaced by a four storey building in 1803. It was rebuilt again in 1864 by the Freemasons who, in 1909, renovated it and changed its name to the Conn...

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink

2 memorials