Plaque   

Beaufoy Institute - MHB

Beaufoy Institute Beaufoy Institute - MHB

Erection date: 1907

Inscription

MHB 1907

Site: Beaufoy Institute (4 memorials)

SE11, Black Prince Road, 39

The cartouches are on the two gables on the front elevation. Speel informs that the relief and the plain inscribed stone were moved here from the original Ragged School.

1851 the Beaufoy family established the Lambeth Ragged School in nearby Newport Street. The coming of the railway in 1903 forced a move and MHB had this Beaufoy Institute built. An extension was added on the east in the 1930s. During WW2 the building was used for the manufacture of munitions, by women. Over time the Institute was taken over by Lambeth Council and then sold to become a Bhuddist Centre in 2014. The playground has been developed as flats.

The building is listed Grade II and that text points out that some of the decorative elements on this building are probably by the nearby firm of Doulton. From its beginning John Doulton (1793 – 1873) was on the board of trustees for the Ragged School and there were still Doultons on the board when the school moved. "Research has suggested that {this building} was a test site for 'Cockrill-Doulton Patent Tiles'..."

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Beaufoy Institute - MHB

Subjects commemorated Information

Mark Hanbury Beaufoy

Businessman and politician. Born South Lambeth, nephew of Henry Beaufoy. Aged...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Beaufoy Institute - MHB

Also at this site Information

Beaufoy Institute - 2 stones

The phrase "Those that do teach..." is a quote from Shakespeare's Othello, De...

Read More

Beaufoy Institute - relief

{At the bottom right of the relief:} Nixon, Sc.

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Ladywell Mineral Spring

Ladywell Mineral Spring

SE13, Ladywell Road, 148

This plaque was erected in 1984 or shortly after. Confusingly LondonNewsOnline has a photo of a blue plaque (otherwise identical) in the ...

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators
Dickens at Cobley Farm

Dickens at Cobley Farm

N12, Queen's Avenue, 70

Returned from his first trip to America Dickens spent some time here in 1842-3, and wrote Martin Chuzzlewit, based partly on his time in ...

5 subjects commemorated
Holly Lodge wall - B

Holly Lodge wall - B

N6, Holly Lodge Gardens

These plaques seem to relate to the maintenance and changing ownership of the grounds of "The Holly Lodge". The house (which was between ...

1 subject commemorated
Great Ormond Street - 1720

Great Ormond Street - 1720

WC1, Great Ormond Street, 13

We'd hoped to find more information about the early buildings, perhaps a picture, but we found nothing. We are thankful that the new-bui...

Benjamin Britten - NW8

Benjamin Britten - NW8

NW8, St John's Wood High Street, 45

Benjamin Britten, composer, 1913 - 1976, and Peter Pears, singer, 1910 - 1986, lived and worked here, 1943 - 1946. City of Westminster In...

2 subjects commemorated, 2 creators