Beaufoy Institute - 2 stones

Beaufoy Institute Beaufoy Institute - 2 stones

Erection date: 21/2/1907


{Below the relief there are two inscribed stones:

one decorative with this text between shields in relief:}
This principal stone was laid by Mildred Scott Beaufoy, wife of Mark Hanbury Beaufoy, JP, Chairman of Governors on the 21st February 1907.
F. A. Powell, JP, FRIBA, FSI - Architect
Holliday & Greenwood Ltd - Contractors

{The other is very plain, with this text:}
Those that do teach young babes
Do it with gentle means and easy tasks

The phrase "Those that do teach..." is a quote from Shakespeare's Othello, Desdemona, Act 4 Scene 2.

Site: Beaufoy Institute (4 memorials)

SE11, Black Prince Road, 39

The cartouches are on the two gables on the front elevation. Speel informs that the relief and the plain inscribed stone were moved here from the original Ragged School.

1851 the Beaufoy family established the Lambeth Ragged School in nearby Newport Street. The coming of the railway in 1903 forced a move and MHB had this Beaufoy Institute built. An extension was added on the east in the 1930s. During WW2 the building was used for the manufacture of munitions, by women. Over time the Institute was taken over by Lambeth Council and then sold to become a Bhuddist Centre in 2014. The playground has been developed as flats.

The building is listed Grade II and that text points out that some of the decorative elements on this building are probably by the nearby firm of Doulton. From its beginning John Doulton (1793 – 1873) was on the board of trustees for the Ragged School and there were still Doultons on the board when the school moved. "Research has suggested that {this building} was a test site for 'Cockrill-Doulton Patent Tiles'..."

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Beaufoy Institute - 2 stones

Subjects commemorated Information

Holliday & Greenwood Ltd

Contractors active in 1907. National Archives have records for this company 1...

Read More

Mark Hanbury Beaufoy

Businessman and politician. Born South Lambeth, nephew of Henry Beaufoy. Aged...

Read More

Frederick Atkinson Powell

Architect. Mayor of Lambeth 1905-6 and 1906-7. Died at home at 344 Kennington...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Beaufoy Institute - 2 stones

Created by Information

Mildred Scott Beaufoy

Born as Mildred Scott Tait in Marylebone, Married Mark Hanbury Beaufoy. Died ...

Read More

William Shakespeare

Born and died in Stratford-upon-Avon. His birth date is often given as the 23...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Beaufoy Institute - 2 stones

Also at this site Information

Beaufoy Institute - relief

{At the bottom right of the relief:} Nixon, Sc.

Read More

Nearby Memorials



EC4, St Paul's Churchyard

Williams was working as a buyer at Hitchcock, Rogers & Co., a large retail drapers at 72 St Paul's Churchyard. The situation of worke...

2 subjects commemorated
First two houses on HGS

First two houses on HGS

NW11, Hampstead Way, 142

On 2 May 1907 Henrietta Barnett cut the first sod here. The ceremony involved children dancing around maypoles, the presentation of flow...

3 subjects commemorated
Sidney Webb

Sidney Webb

WC2, Cranbourn Street, 37

Placed 13 July 1995.

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators
St Olav's Church - 1992

St Olav's Church - 1992

SE16, St Olav's Square

Harold had been king for less than two years when this visit was made.

1 subject commemorated
George Nissel

George Nissel

NW1, Siddons Lane

This plaque, on the right flank wall of the red brick building, was unveiled on the same day as the Dallos plaque.   The building which h...

2 subjects commemorated, 2 creators