mobile nav

Memorial

Beaufoy Institute - relief Beaufoy Institute

Relief: Beaufoy Institute - relief

Erection date: 21/2/1907

Inscription

{At the bottom right of the relief:}
Nixon, Sc.

Site: Beaufoy Institute (4 memorials)

SE11, Black Prince Road, 39

The cartouches are on the two gables on the front elevation. Speel informs that the relief and the plain inscribed stone were moved here from the original Ragged School.

1851 the Beaufoy family established the Lambeth Ragged School in nearby Newport Street. The coming of the railway in 1903 forced a move and MHB had this Beaufoy Institute built. An extension was added on the east in the 1930s. During WW2 the building was used for the manufacture of munitions, by women. Over time the Institute was taken over by Lambeth Council and then sold to become a Bhuddist Centre in 2014. The playground has been developed as flats.

The building is listed Grade II and that text points out that some of the decorative elements on this building are probably by the nearby firm of Doulton. From its beginning John Doulton (1793 – 1873) was on the board of trustees for the Ragged School and there were still Doultons on the board when the school moved. "Research has suggested that {this building} was a test site for 'Cockrill-Doulton Patent Tiles'..."

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Beaufoy Institute - relief

Information Created by

Samuel Nixon

Sculptor.  Possibly born and brought up in London.  Died at his home, Kenning...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Beaufoy Institute - relief

Information Also at this site

Beaufoy Institute - 2 stones

The phrase "Those that do teach..." is a quote from Shakespeare's Othello, De...

Read More