Vinegar factory owner, philanthropist and politician. MP for Hackney. Born Switzerland. The family's brewery (first gin and then vinegar) was at Cuper's Gardens, Lambeth - demolished when Waterloo Bridge was built, 1817. In 1810 the business moved to 87 South Lambeth Road, (now an identikit Holiday Inn). Created the Lambeth Ragged School as a memorial to his wife Harriet. uncle to Mark Beaufoy. Died London.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Henry Benjamin Hanbury Beaufoy
Commemorated ati
Other Subjects
Smithfield Poultry Market
The original poultry market by Horace Jones was opened in 1875 but destroyed by fire in 1958. Our page for that fire has an image of the original building. The new building has a concrete elliptic...
White Horse Cellars at Hatchett's Hotel
This building is still at 66-68 Piccadilly, on the north-east of the junction with Dover Street. Architect: Weatherley and Jones. From British History (written in 1878, just 10 years before Selby...
Finlays
From Finlays we learn that: James Finlay (d. 1790) began his career in Glasgow in the family textile business selling cotton goods. He moved into embroidered muslins and also manufacture. His son K...
Group, Commerce, Food & Drink, Gardens / Agriculture, Africa, Scotland, Sri Lanka
Frost Fairs
There are records of the Thames freezing over as far back as CE 250. The piers of old London Bridge were broad and close together, meaning that they could get easily blocked creating a dam which wo...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them