mobile nav

Subject

Smithfield Poultry Market

Event  From 5/7/1963 

Categories: Commerce, Food & Drink

The original poultry market by Horace Jones was opened in 1875 but destroyed by fire in 1958. The new building has a concrete elliptical paraboloid roof with, it was claimed at the time, the largest clear spanning dome in Europe. Designed by T. P. Bennett and Son, the building was intended to be replicated across the whole Smithfield site replacing the other buildings, but, thankfully, this did not happen.

Sir Thomas Bennett had previously designed the magnificent Saville Theatre.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Smithfield Poultry Market

Information Commemorated at

Smithfield - Poultry Market opening

What is it with granite plaques? Surely by 1963 someone ought to have learnt...

Read More