Embassy of the United States
The first US Minister to the Court of St James, John Adams, rented No 9 Grosvenor Square in 1785. After that the American Embassy in London was situated variously in Great Cumberland Place, Piccadilly, Portland Place and Grosvenor Gardens. In 1938, it moved to 1 Grosvenor Square. The current (heavily defended) building in Grosvenor Square, designed by Eero Saarinen, opened in 1960. There are plans, 2013, to relocate to an even more secure site in the Nine Elms area of London.