Plaque: Spanish and Portuguese Jews - 1
This building, erected in 1912, formerly housed the Beth Holim, or hospital, and old people's home of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews' Congregation.
The hospital, founded in 1748, was first established in Leman Street, E1, then in 1790 was transferred to this site. In 1977 it was removed to Forty Avenue, Wembley where it now flourishes.
Behind this building lies the first cemetery of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews who fled from the persecution of the Spanish and Portuguese inquisition to find religious toleration and freedom in this realm.
They formed in the City of London in 1656 the Congregation called 'sha'arhashamayim', the Gate of Heaven, which is still in existence. It was the first professing Jewish community in the British Isles to be established in modern times and formed the origin of the present Jewish community of Britain as a whole.
For admission to the Old Cemetery of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews apply to:- The Secretary, Spanish & Portuguese Jews Congregation, 2 Ashworth Road W9.
Site: Spanish and Portuguese Jews Hospital (3 memorials)
E1, Mile End Road, 253, Albert Stern House
Built as a hospital and old people’s home. The facade is in the style of an early 18th century house but it was built 1912-13, by Castello, also the row of cottages behind, both overlooking the Old Velho Sephardic Jewish cemetery. The style of the façade references the time when Jews were readmitted into England. See the Listing statement for more details.
The hospital moved out to Wembley in 1977. 2013: This building is owned by Queen Mary College and used as student accommodation.