Plaque: Spanish and Portuguese Jews Hospital - foundation
Erection date: 16/2/1913
This stone was laid by Edward Lumbrozo Mocatta Esqre. Treasurer on 9 Adar (Rishon) 5673, February 16th 1913.
Moss B. Levy Esqre - warden
Hyam Alvarez Esqre - warden
Paul Goodman Esqre - secretary
Manuel Nunes Castello ARIBA - architect
W. J. Maddison - builder
Site: Spanish and Portuguese Jews Hospital (3 memorials)
E1, Mile End Road, 253, Albert Stern House
Built as a hospital and old people’s home. The facade is in the style of an early 18th century house but it was built 1912-13, by Castello, also the row of cottages behind, both overlooking the Old Velho Sephardic Jewish cemetery. The style of the façade references the time when Jews were readmitted into England. See the Listing statement for more details.
The hospital moved out to Wembley in 1977. 2013: This building is owned by Queen Mary College and used as student accommodation.