The site of The Theatre is the tall building to the left in the picture. Often claimed to be the first London building specially devoted to the performance of plays though the Red Lion Theatre in Mile End was apparently built in 1567. Built by James Burbage in 1576 just outside the City. It was here that Love's Labours Lost and Much Ado About Nothing were first mounted. The lease ran out in 1597 so the building was dismantled and rebuilt across the Thames as "The Globe".
The foundations were excavated in a MoL archaeological dig in 2008.