Plaque: The Theatre
The site of this building forms part of what was once the precinct of the Priory of S. John-the-Baptist, Holywell. Within a few yards stood, from 1577 to 1598, the first London building specially devoted to the performance of plays and known as 'The Theatre'.
Site: The Theatre & Shakespeare (2 memorials)
EC2, Curtain Road, 86-90
February 2013: planning permission is granted to build a theatre on this site.