Credit for this entry to:Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk
Church. Originally a small chapel built outside the walls of Barking Abbey. Altered and enlarged in the 15th and 16th centuries. Captain Cook was married here in 1762.
Go to map of other memorials in this area
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
St Margaret's Barking
Barking Abbey Was founded by St Erkenwald in the year 666. Destroyed by the D...
This section lists other interesting subjects.
Founder of the Society of Friends (Quakers). Born Leicestershire. Died in a...
Born Gloucester. Met the Wesley brothers and was a founder of Methodism. Prea...
Bishop and opponent of apartheid and campaigner on many other causes: AIDS, h...
Founder and Abbess of Barking. Probably used the manor in what is now Batters...
Register to receive email updates whenever we publish new memorials.
Now available: TheLondon RemembersiPhone app.
12,210 brave WW1 seamen remembered on the monument at Tower Hill.
23,831 brave WW2 seamen remembered on the monument at Tower Hill.