mobile nav


London Fire Brigade

Group  From 1865 

Categories: Emergency Services

The London Fire Engine Establishment, formed in 1833 under the leadership of James Braidwood, was a private organisation funded by insurance companies, mainly aimed at saving material goods from fires. In 1865, following the Tooley Street fire and others, the publicly-funded and managed Metropolitan Fire Brigade was created, under the control of the Metropolitan Board of Works, later the LCC. In 1904 it was renamed as the London Fire Brigade.

From 1833 the first headquarters were at 68 Watling Street (see Beyond the Flames for some details and a photo), in the City of London. In 1878 moved into an old workhouse on Southwark Bridge Road, extended in 1883. 1937 moved into its Lambeth HQ. In 2007 it moved from there to 169 Union Street, Southwark, practically adjacent to its previous Southwark home.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
London Fire Brigade

Information Commemorated at

Show all 9

Dudgeon's Wharf explosion - red plaque

Unveiled on the 50th anniversary of the fire.

Read More

Eyre Massey Shaw

Sir Eyre Massey Shaw, 1830 - 1908, first chief officer of the Metropolitan Fi...

Read More

Fire Brigade HQ - Southwark

This stone relief was located above the main entrance to the former headquart...

Read More

Great fire of Tooley Street

2021: This plaque has been replaced with a similar plaque, re-branded to prom...

Read More

James Braidwood

What a great plaque. The inscription is inside a laurel wreath, in front of a...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
London Fire Brigade

Information Creations

Dudgeon's Wharf explosion - oblong plaque

The unveiling of this plaque was reported in the East London Advertiser of 24...

Read More

Sidney Street siege and fire

Our colleague Alan Patient decoded JEECS into ‘Jewish East End Celebration So...

Read More

Stephen Maynard - steel plaque

Plaque erected on the 30th anniversary.

Read More