Architectural sculptor, wood carver, modeller, metalwork designer, medallist.
Born Glasgow. Worked as an architectural sculptor in Glasgow before 1901, then moved to London to study at the Royal Academy Schools (1904-7) where he was a prize-winning student. Co-designer of the 1845 St. Johns Church, Notting Hill. Other London works include: County Hall, embellishing the most important committee and chairmen's rooms (c.1922); carving all of the wood and stone in the new Ironmongers' Hall (finished 1924-5); Cassell's in La Belle Sauvage Yard (from our work on Pocahontas we understand that building was destroyed in 1941 by WW2 bombs). Often worked in partnership with John Hargrave Stevens. Died London.
Information from Mapping Sculpture.
We cannot find a picture of him, so have used one of the Sheffield Cenotaph which he designed.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk