Place From 1733
Here we summarise the splendid London Gardens Online :
Land given by Sir Hans Sloane in 1733 to serve the Chelsea Parish Church of St Luke's and became the King's Road Burial Ground. 1882 a mortuary was built, the land was closed for burials and became a garden for inmates of the adjacent workhouse (on the land bounded by the burial ground, Dovehouse Street and Britten Street). Damaged in WW2. 1947-50 the mortuary was demolished, the gravestones removed and it was partially opened to the public. Laid out anew in 1977 when it was given the name 'Dovehouse Green'. It was refurbished again 25 years later and re-opened in June 2003.
Workhouses has a picture of the men from the workhouse resting in their garden.