Building    From 1739  To 1920

Foundling Hospital

Categories: Children, Social Welfare

England's first home for abandoned children. Established in 1739 by Captain Thomas Coram.

From the Museum's Friends Update: "On the afternoon of Wednesday 25 March {1741}, the coat of arms designed by William Hogarth was hung above the entrance to the Hospital's temporary residence in Hatton Garden. The Governors' had given public notice that:  "...on Wednesday, the 25th March, at 8 o clock at night, and from that time till the House should be full, their House will be opened for the reception of Children"  That evening the first 30 babies were admitted..."

A purpose-built 'hospital' (orphanage) in Bloomsbury was begun in 1742 and finished in October 1745.  The eastern wing for the girls was added in 1752. 

In the 1920s the children were moved to the healthier countryside, first to an old convent in Redhill, and then in 1935 to the new purpose-built Foundling Hospital in Berkhamsted. In the 1950s orphanages were largely done away with and the Foundling Hospital ceased most of its operations. The Berkhamsted buildings are now used by Ashlyns School.

The Bloomsbury buildings were demolished shortly after 1926 and the site is now occupied by Coram's Fields. The charitable work is continued by Thomas Coram Foundation for Children in buildings just to the north of the Fields.

The Governors included Handel and Hogarth

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Foundling Hospital

Commemorated ati

Coram's Fields

These grounds, the site of the Foundling Hospital, established in 1739 by Cap...

Read More

Coram's fountain

The lamb relief is also carved on the rim of the fountain.

Read More

Foundling pavement plaque

We had spotted this unusual plaque in 2015 but put it on the long finger. The...

Read More

Jim Gaffney

Jim Gaffney, 1941 - 2002. Jim spent his life helping vulnerable children. H...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Foundling Hospital

Creations i

Collingham Garden

Collingham Garden The use of this ground for the welfare of children for all...

Read More

Coram statue

The base of the statue is inscribed "Wm. MacMillan Sc. 1963". The pose is tak...

Read More

Other Subjects

Laburnum Street School

Laburnum Street School

A primary school, demolished to make way for the Bridge Academy. Our photo shows a 2014 reunion taking place in the school hall. We believe the building appears (in the distance) in a photo on Spit...

Building, Children, Education

3 memorials
William Beckham

William Beckham

William Beckham is the boy lying on his side on the left at the front in the photograph of the scout troop.  He was one of the ten children of William John Beckham (1870-1917) and Harriett Beckham...

Person, Children, Community / Clubs, Tragedy

2 memorials
North Islington Infant Welfare Centre and School for Mothers

North Islington Infant Welfare Centre and School for Mothers

Founded by Florence Keen.  1983 renamed 'Manor Gardens Centre'.

Group, Children, Social Welfare

2 memorials
Christ Church School, SW3

Christ Church School, SW3

Christ Church itself was built in 1839 and quickly established its Sunday School, initially only for boys and in rented premises in Flood Street. Then Lord Cadogan donated the land directly opposit...

Building, Children, Education, Property

4 memorials
John Procter, the younger

John Procter, the younger

Grandson of Mary and John Procter, died aged 9 months. We don't actually know that his surname was Procter since John had one daughter as well as three sons.

Person, Children, Friend / family

1 memorial