Place From 1759
Officially, The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew. They originated in the garden of Kew Park formed by Lord Capel John of Tewkesbury. They were extended by Augusta, Dowager Princess of Wales and further enriched by King George III, aided by William Aiton and Joseph Banks. Its most recognisable building, The Palm House was built by architect Decimus Burton and iron-maker Richard Turner. This was the first large-scale use of wrought iron. The gardens were made a World Heritage Site in July 2003.