Great Forest of Essex
Place From 1000
Since about 1000 various areas have been designated 'forest' meaning a royal hunting ground, not necessarily wooded. At different times, under different monarchs part or all of the County of Essex has been so described. A large part of what remains of the forest is now known as Epping Forest and is managed by the City of London. See Epping Forest Act.