Place From 1873
The materials used in the construction of the 1861 International Exhibition were sold and re-used in this building. Named after Princess Alexandra, newly married to the Prince of Wales, opened as "The People's Palace" in 1873 as a recreation centre, and destroyed by fire 16 days later. Reopened in 1875. Used as an internment camp for Germans in WW1. Hosted the legendary hippie festival "14th Hour Technicolour Dream" in 1967. The eastern part was leased by the BBC in 1935 and the first public television transmissions were made in 1936. The BBC continued to use it as their main transmitting centre until 1956 after which it was only used for news broadcasts.
In 1980 the Palace went up in flames again, and reopened in 1988.
Known locally as the Ally Pally.