Building    From 1730  To 1962

The Grange

Categories: Property

It consisted of two eighteenth century red-brick houses. Famous occupants were, Samuel Richardson, the writer and printer, from 1738 to 1754, and Sir Edward Burne-Jones from 1867 until his death in 1898. Here Burne-Jones had his studio and entertained many of his artistic contemporaries. At that time it was in a fairly inaccessible area. Supposedly, the directions to get to it were, 'Go down the Cromwell Road till your cabhorse drops dead, and then ask someone'. There was a failed attempt to preserve the building in the early 1950s and the site is now occupied by a block of flats named after Samuel Richardson.

Our start date is approximate. The picture source is worth visiting.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
The Grange

Commemorated ati

Sir Edward Burne-Jones - W14

Artist, Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, 1833-1898, lived at The Grange on this ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Pageants Wharf fire station

Pageants Wharf fire station

In its time, it was one of the busiest fire stations in London. Fires frequently broke out in the nearby wharves, and during the Blitz, the station attended many fires following bomb attacks. It ha...

Building, Emergency Services, Property

1 memorial
Stoke Newington Manor House

Stoke Newington Manor House

The photograph appears under Stoke Newington Manor House on the Hackney Plaques and Local History website. There is no further explanation. Maybe it shows excavations at the site.

Building, Property

1 memorial
St James's Gardens, W11

St James's Gardens, W11

RBKC and British History Online have a lot of information about the creation of this square, with plans and drawings.

Place, Architecture, Property

2 memorials
Bartram House

Bartram House

This Georgian house was on The Green, Hampstead, in an area now occupied by the west-most part of the Hampstead Royal Free Hospital. It was Sir Rowland Hill's home for 30 years, during which time S...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Limehouse Basin

Limehouse Basin

The basin was built, as "Regent’s Canal Dock", by the Regent's Canal Company so that goods could be taken from sea-going vessels in the Thames and transferred to canal boats for distribution along ...

Place, Property

1 memorial