mobile nav


Dovehouse Green

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of

Dovehouse Green

Place  From 1733 

Here we summarise the splendid London Gardens Online :

Land given by Sir Hans Sloane in 1733 to serve the Chelsea Parish Church of St Luke's and became the King's Road Burial Ground.  1882 a mortuary was built, the land was closed for burials and became a garden for inmates of the adjacent workhouse (on the land bounded by the burial ground, Dovehouse Street and Britten Street). Damaged in WW2.  1947-50 the mortuary was demolished, the gravestones removed and it was partially opened to the public.   Laid out anew in 1977 when it was given the name 'Dovehouse Green'.  It was refurbished again 25 years later and re-opened in June 2003.

Workhouses has a picture of the men from the workhouse resting in their garden.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Dovehouse Green

Information Commemorated at

Dovehouse Green - blue plaques

{Top plaque:} To celebrate the silver jubilee of Elizabeth II 1952-1977 and ...

Read More

Dovehouse Green - Victorian plaque

We think this plaque was probably erected in 1882 when the land was repurpose...

Read More