mobile nav


Chelsea Hospital for Women

Group  From 1871  To 1988

Categories: Medicine

Set up in a house at 178 King's Road, this hospital, like many at the time, quickly found its premises too small. It moved into the first hospital to be built dedicated to gynaecological diseases, in Fulham Road (the one with the plaque). This opened in 1883 but again became too small and the hospital moved to another purpose-built site in 1916, in what is now Dovehouse Street. This closed in 1988 and (in 2014) the site is now used by the Royal Brompton Hospital, but "Chelsea Hospital for Women" is still carved in the porch lintel.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Chelsea Hospital for Women

Information Commemorated at

Chelsea Hospital for Women

Princess Alexandra was laying the foundation stone for the Chelsea Hospital f...

Read More