Building    From 1888  To 1997

Royal Northern Hospital

Categories: Medicine

Founded in 1856 by Dr. Sherard Freeman Statham (dismissed from University College Hospital for smacking a patient's bottom) at 11 York Road (later York Way), and expanded into numbers 9 and 10.  1862 it had to move and took on a number of different premises.  Finally in 1884 the Grove House estate of over an acre on Holloway Road was acquired and the Great Northern Central Hospital opened there in 1888.  “Central” was dropped from the name in 1911. The hospital extended on its own site and expanded onto neighbouring properties and other sites. It occupied much of the area bounded by: Holloway Road, Tollington Way, Axminster Road and Manor Gardens. Joined the NHS in 1948 and closed in 1992. 

2014: The Northern Health Centre occupies the original 1888 Holloway Road block but apart from that and the memorial arch it was all demolished in 1997 and developed for residential and the provision of the memorial garden.

This information above all comes from the splendid Lost Hospitals of London, including the bit about the smacked bottom.

The picture shows the out-patients waiting room in 1888.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Northern Hospital

Commemorated atInformation

RNH - Casualty Department

See the mosaic for more information about the Casualty Department.

Read More

RNH - mosaic

The new RNH Casualty Department, funded by the Islington War Memorial Fund, w...

Read More

RNH - NJ

This small plaque is rather hidden behind plants. We don't understand the mo...

Read More

RNH - Philip Hill

This stone was laid by Philip E. Hill Esq, chairman of Beechams Pills Ltd on ...

Read More

RNH - Princess Louise

RNH Opened by HRH Princess Louise Duchess of Argyle GBE on the 30th October ...

Read More

Show all 9

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Royal Northern Hospital

Creations Information

Islington war memorial arch - foundation stone at the right

In 1923 the Prince of Wales was Edward, who later became, briefly, King Edwar...

Read More

Other Subjects

E. G. Slesinger, OBE

E. G. Slesinger, OBE

Chairman of the Board of Guy's Hospital in 1964. Born London.

Person, Medicine, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Association of Women Pharmacists

Association of Women Pharmacists

The Pharmaceutical Journal has "a short history of pharmacy and women".

Group, Gender Issues, Medicine

1 memorial
Dr. James Cope

Dr. James Cope

Medical adviser to City Companies, with an interest in history, particularly John Wilkes. Cope promoted the erection of the statue.

Person, History, Medicine, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Francois Rabelais

Francois Rabelais

Writer and physician. Born France, between 1483 and 1494, but probably November 1494. Became a monk and studied Latin and Greek, then left to study medicine. Died Paris.

Person, Literature, Medicine, Politics & Administration, Religion, France

1 memorial
Dr John Waggett

Dr John Waggett

At Elsevier Ruth Richardson writes:"That year {1882}, Dr John Waggett MD FRCS (1818–1909) decided to donate funds sufficient to erect a drinking fountain on the crest of London’s Notting Hill. Dr W...

Person, Benefactor, Medicine

1 memorial