mobile nav


Royal Northern Hospital

Building  From 1888  To 1997

Categories: Medicine

Founded in 1856 by Dr. Sherard Freeman Statham (dismissed from University College Hospital for smacking a patient's bottom) at 11 York Road (later York Way), and expanded into numbers 9 and 10.  1862 it had to move and took on a number of different premises.  Finally in 1884 the Grove House estate of over an acre on Holloway Road was acquired and the Great Northern Central Hospital opened there in 1888.  “Central” was dropped from the name in 1911. The hospital extended on its own site and expanded onto neighbouring properties and other sites. It occupied much of the area bounded by: Holloway Road, Tollington Way, Axminster Road and Manor Gardens. Joined the NHS in 1948 and closed in 1992. 

2014: The Northern Health Centre occupies the original 1888 Holloway Road block but apart from that and the memorial arch it was all demolished in 1997 and developed for residential and the provision of the memorial garden.

This information above all comes from the splendid Lost Hospitals of London, including the bit about the smacked bottom.

The picture shows the out-patients waiting room in 1888.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Northern Hospital

Information Commemorated at

Show all 8

RNH - Casualty Department

See the mosaic for more information about the Casualty Department.

Read More

RNH - mosaic

The new RNH Casualty Department, funded by the Islington War Memorial Fund, w...

Read More


This small plaque is rather hidden behind plants. We don't understand the mo...

Read More

RNH - Philip Hill

This stone was laid by Philip E. Hill Esq, chairman of Beechams Pills Ltd on ...

Read More

RNH - Princess Louise

RNH Opened by HRH Princess Louise Duchess of Argyle GBE on the 30th October ...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Royal Northern Hospital

Information Creations

Islington war memorial arch - foundation stone at the right

In 1923 the Prince of Wales was Edward, who later became, briefly, King Edwar...

Read More