Group    From 8/8/1859  To /8/1864

Charing Cross Railway Company

Categories: Transport

IanVisits has reprinted an article from the Illustrated London News about the building of the railway from London Bridge to Charing Cross.

The company was formed by the South Eastern Railway Company with the sole task of building the extension and the terminal at Charing Cross, built on the site of Hungerford Market.

The picture shows the seal of the company.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Charing Cross Railway Company

Commemorated ati

Ewer Street burial ground

Ewer Street Burial Ground {On the small information board:} Site of Ewer Str...

Read More

First Blackfriars Station

SER Blackfriars Station This is the entrance to the former Blackfriars Statio...

Read More

Other Subjects

North South Route in Haringey

North South Route in Haringey

Alan Stanton, suitably impressed with this important plaque, informs that the North South route is now called Watermead Way. Somewhere there must be a plaque commemorating that name change. Please ...

Group, Transport

1 memorial
College Road Tollgate

College Road Tollgate

The only surviving tollgate in London. The current charge (2018) is £1.20. This drawing shows the tollgate in possibly the late 18th or early 19th century.

Place, Transport

1 memorial
Norwood Junction subway

Norwood Junction subway

A step-free cut through from one side to the other of Norwood Junction Station, connecting Station Road to Clifford Road, was formally opened on 31 July 1912. It is claimed to be the world's first ...

Place, Transport

2 memorials
Great Eastern Street

Great Eastern Street

Constructed 1872-6 by The Metropolitan Board of Works. Opened in 1876. Improved in 1880-2.

Place, Engineering, Transport

1 memorial