mobile nav

Memorial

First Blackfriars Station First Blackfriars Station

Plaque: First Blackfriars Station

Erection date: 22/11/2007

Inscription

SER Blackfriars Station
This is the entrance to the former Blackfriars Station. Commenced by the Charing Cross Railway Co. on its line from London Bridge to Charing Cross, it was taken over by the South Eastern Railway Co. before opening in January 1864. Closure came five years later when the South Eastern Railway opened its Waterloo Station (now Waterloo East).

The glazed brick bridge abutments show evidence of bomb damage from the Blitz of 1940 and a V2 rocket in December 1944. Buildings in the surrounding area were damaged beyond repair, including The Ring boxing arena, formerly the Surrey Chapel, on the site of 197 Blackfriars Road.

Restoration of the bridge and station entrance in 2005 was funded by Blackfriars Investment and Royal London, Cross River Partnership, Network Rail, Railway Heritage Trust and Southwark Council.
{The emblem is that of the SER.} 

Site: First Blackfriars Station (1 memorial)

SE1, Blackfriars Road, Palastra House

You can see part of the old entrance to the left of our picture. To the right is Palastra House, the site of The Ring.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
First Blackfriars Station

Information Subjects commemorated

Show all 7

51115

The Ring / Surrey Chapel / Rowland Hill's Chapel

On the site now occupied by TfL's Palastre House.  Built in fields as an octa...

Read More

74949

The Blitz

During WW2 Britain came under heavy bombing from Germany for 8 months, 1940-1...

Read More

50530

V1 and V2 rockets

The V1 and V2 rockets were developed as a reaction to the heavy allied bombin...

Read More

46167

World War 2

Sorry, we've done no research on WW2, it's just too big a subject. But do vis...

Read More

73448

Charing Cross Railway Company

IanVisits has reprinted an article from the Illustrated London News about the...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
First Blackfriars Station

Information Created by

49722

Network Rail

Government-created owner and operator of most of the rail infrastructure in G...

Read More

47812

Southwark Council

The London Borough of Southwark was created as an amalgamation of the Metropo...

Read More