Place    From 1666 

Black Eagle Brewery

Categories: Food & Drink

The name was taken from the street on the north of the site, Black Eagle Street, now the east-west section of Dray Walk. A Truman took over the business in 1679 and the business expanded. 1789 it was taken over by Sampson Hanbury (1769-1835) uncle to Robert. Another of his nephews, Thomas Fowell Buxton, joined the company in 1808. By 1816 the company was named Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co, and on Hanbury's death in 1835 Buxton took it over. By 1853 the brewery was the largest in the world.

In 1873 the company expanded into Burton where the water was particularly suitable for brewing. The Brick Lane site continued in operation but production gradually moved to Burton. Take-over by the Grand Metropolitan Group in 1971 and merged with Watney Mann in 1972. In 1989 Brick Lane closed. Since then it has been redeveloped as the Old Truman Brewery, with offices, shops, restaurants, etc.

Zythophile has a thorough, detailed, history and we have them to thank for the picture, from 1842.

This 1890 insurance map shows the brewery stretching north up to Quaker Street and over to the east side of Brick Lane, absorbing streets in the process.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Black Eagle Brewery

Commemorated ati

Bowler plaque - Four Tankards

This cast-iron roundel, showing 4 tankards around an eagle motif, is one of 2...

Read More

Other Subjects

Eagle Tavern

Eagle Tavern

Spitlefields Life has an excellent write-up of the 19th century entertainment complex here.

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink

2 memorials
Arments

Arments

Eel, pie and mash shop. Founded by husband and wife William and Emily Arment, and still run by their descendants. We don't know if our picture shows the real David Jason as 'Del Boy' or whether the...

Group, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Turk's Head Charity

Turk's Head Charity

From the Picture source website: "The Turk’s Head was bought from the Council and renovated by our charity in 1992. Now it provides a café and affordable workspace and the rental income pays our ch...

Group, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

2 memorials
Manze's pie and mash shops

Manze's pie and mash shops

The Manze family came to Bermondsey from Ravello in Italy. Initially they were ice-merchants, and then ice-cream makers. Michele Manze branched out and opened their first eel, pie and mash shop in ...

Group, Commerce, Food & Drink, Italy

2 memorials
Josiah Child / James Child

Josiah Child / James Child

London merchant and director of the East India Company. Known as both Josiah and James. Ran the Anchor Brewery 1670 (possibly 1666) -1693. Master of the Brewers Company in 1693.

Person, Food & Drink

1 memorial