New Mermaid Tavern, Mare Street
Building From 1773 To 1840
This section of Mare Street was at the time known as Church Street. The area around was the Mermaid Gardens which were used for balloon flights, amongst other things. The (old) Mermaid Tavern was on the east side of Church Street, just north of the church. In the 1740s a new Mermaid Tavern was built on the west side of Church Street. This survived until it was demolished in the 1840s and replaced by the Manor House. Tudor Hackney gives some of the earlier history of the site.