Plaque: St Olav's Church - 1926 - foundation stone
Erection date: 24/6/1926
Den Norske Siomannsmision, St Olavs Kirke
Denne Kirkes grunnsten blev lagt av Kronprins Olav,
24de Jvni 1926
The Norwegian Seamen's Mission, St Olav's Church
This church's foundation stone was laid by Crown Prince Olav,
24th June 1926
Site: St Olav's Church (8 memorials)
SE16, St Olav's Square
St Olav's Church was designed by John Love Seaton Dahl. Crown Prince Olav was present at the laying of the foundation stone, 1926, and then at the consecration, 1927. During WW2 this was the church used by King Haakon VII and the Norwegian government in exile. It is one of over 30 churches around the world run by the Norwegian Church Abroad, also known as The Norwegian Seamen’s Church.
The Ebenezer Church plaque is in the garden in front of the church in the centre of the northern wall.
The Fallen plaque is laid into the ground of the garden, at the foot of the WW1 memorial.
The three 'St Olav' plaques are attached low on the west front of the building.
At Surrey Docks we have an 1889 map which shows the road layouts before the Rotherhithe Tunnel roundabout arrived.