Under the gable is a relief showing a surreal image: three arms each with a hand at both ends, with the six hands clasped in such as way as to form a triangular repository for a golden ball.
All six hands are right hands and all claspings are the same: with only the middle three fingers being inside the grip. This and the triangle shape suggest a possible reference to the Holy Trinity.
Site: St Matthias Church House (2 memorials)
E1, Chilton Street, 52, St. Matthias Church House
The building was designed by William Reddall, 1887-9. A London Inheritance has researched this street and confirms that St Matthias church used to sit opposite this building, certainly during 1883 - 1940. Perhaps it was lost in WW2.
The little hand sculpture (which we might describe as a relief, were we not very careful) is within the gable above the third floor and, to us, is a complete mystery.