Plaque: Royal Coburg Theatre
Erection date: 14/9/1816
This first stone of the Royal Coburg Theatre was laid on the 14th day of September in the year 1816 by his Serene Highness, the Prince of Saxe Coburg and her Royal Highness the Princess Charlotte of Wales by their Serene and Royal Highness’s proxy, Alderman Goodbehere.
Leopold and Charlotte had married on 2 May and Charlotte was already known to be pregnant so they were probably seen as a golden couple at the time of this plaque-laying. The drop curtain of the theatre bore an image of Claremont House, their Surrey home.
Site: The Old Vic (3 memorials)
SE1, The Cut, Old Vic Theatre
The Royal Coburg plaque is just around the corner to the left, on the flank wall. The large Cons plaque is over at the right, curving around the corner partly hidden by the lamppost. And the Morley plaque is around the corner to the right, on the Waterloo Road flank wall, above a back entrance, towards the southern end of the building.