Plaque

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 5 Clark

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 5 Clark

Erection date: 1991

Inscription

These grounds were landscaped owing to the generosity of James Clark, a member of this church, and are dedicated to his memory and the glory of God.
1991

Site: Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church (7 memorials)

N5, Highbury Quadrant

The 7 plaques are on different faces of the frontage of the building. We've numbered them left to right. Plaque 3 can be seen in our photo, just to the left of the door.

2021: The site is the subject of a proposal for redevelopment but we could see no date on the website. Consultation has a photo of the Victorian church.

The 20th Century Society informs: The architects of this 1954 building were Hastie, Winch & Kelly. The London Gardens Trust gives: "The Congregational Church was established here in 1878 and was formerly at the centre of residential terraced houses, now replaced by council blocks of the Highbury Quadrant Estate, built by the LCC in 1955/6." The National Archives inform: The site includes: a chapel, a church school; a vestry and an apartment. Some of the buildings on site in 2020 (possibly all except the church itself) are of late19th century origin.

British History Online has: "Cong. ch. (possibly temp.), Highbury Quadrant, reg. 1880. Permanent ch. in Highbury Quadrant built 1881; seated 1,370 in 1884. Designed by John Sulman; galleries added. Attendance 1903: 580 a.m.; 683 p.m. Because of subsidence, replaced 1957 with new single-storeyed red-brick bldg. with small tower, seating 250. 

From Streets with a Story: "The original HIGHBURY QUADRANT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH was built in 1881 in place of an iron chapel erected on the hill in 1878, between Blackstock Road and Highbury New Park. Designed by John Sulman, it seated 1370 in 1884. The Church was restored in 1933. Vibration and war- blast had damaged the building and in 1957 a new church was re-opened and re-dedicated, seating only 250".

On the day we first visited the sun and the foliage made our task difficult. The Fleming plaque was so hidden by foliage that we only managed to read and photograph it on a second visit months latter.

2022: The Islington Tribune reported that "Government ‘rode roughshod’ over Town Hall affordable housing target by approving homes ... The building, which is currently dilapidated following a 2015 blaze, is now due to be replaced with a large new church and residential block. ... small congregation, described as “a membership of 17 members and 20 adherents” in planning documents."

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 5 Clark

Subjects commemorated i

James Clark

Member of the Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church who funded the landscap...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 5 Clark

Also at this site i

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 1 Price

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 1 Price

This stone was laid on January 5th 1957 by Miss N. G. Price on behalf of the ...

Read More

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 2 Fleming

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 2 Fleming

This stone was laid on January 5th 1957 by Rev. Peebles Fleming, Minister.

Read More

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 3 Smith

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 3 Smith

This stone was laid on January 5th 1957 by Mr. J. Rider Smith on behalf of th...

Read More

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 4 Glassey

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 4 Glassey

This stone was laid on January 5th 1957 by Mr Alec E. Glassey JP on behalf of...

Read More

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 6 Callow

Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church - 6 Callow

This stone was laid on January 5th 1957 by Mrs F. W. Callow.

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Piotr Ouspensky

Piotr Ouspensky

W14, Talgarth Road, 151, Colet House

The building is home to the Study Society. Founded in 1951 by Dr. F. C. Roles and his friends who had been associates of Ouspensky, the ...

1 subject commemorated
Elizabeth Blackwell

Elizabeth Blackwell

NW3, Rowland Hill Street, Haemophilia Centre, Royal Free Hospital

On their excellent page about Blackwell Hastings Women's History have a paragraph about two Hastings plaques for Blackwell, one still on ...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Dr Williams's Library

Dr Williams's Library

WC1, Gordon Square, 14

Beside entrance. The library forms part of the charitable trust established under the will of Dr Daniel Williams. The Library, origina...

1 subject commemorated
Welsh Church - Lewis

Welsh Church - Lewis

W1, Eastcastle Street, 30

Each of these foundation stones is at the base of a pillar, reading left to right: Peters, Rowlands, Lewis, Taylor. Disappointingly we h...

1 subject commemorated
Rough, the Bishop family dog

Rough, the Bishop family dog

N5, Highbury New Park, 16, Severn Villa

Victorian Gs and Cs are often indistinguishable, so the dog could be Rough or Rouch. We've gone with Rough because that's the noise dogs ...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator