mobile nav


24th London Division - memorial 24th London Division - memorial

Monument: 24th London Division - memorial

Erection date: 4/10/1924


{The cylindrical stone plinth is covered in carved military badges. Around the top band of this plinth:}
XXIV {24} Division, France, 1914 - 1918.

{A fat dragon/snake curls around the soldiers' feet and their bayonets.}

These 3 figures are said to be modelled on the soldier poets: Robert Graves, Wilfred Owen, and Siegfried Sassoon but the carved faces are quite generic so it's difficult to tell.

 This was one of Kennington's first works of sculpture. Unveiled by Lord Plumer and dedicated by Cyril Garbett, the Bishop of Southwark.

Waymarking gives "... there are 20 badges of the units that made up the Division, engraved by Lucy Sampson. ... More than 10,000 men of this Division, which has local connections to Battersea, were lost during the conflict."

Site: 24th London Division - memorial (1 memorial)

SW11, East Carriage Drive, Battersea Park

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
24th London Division - memorial

Information Subjects commemorated

World War 1

We'd always assumed that this war was known as the Great War until WW2 came a...

Read More

24th Division of the army

Raised in 1914 and fought in France from August 1915 - end of WW1.

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
24th London Division - memorial

Information Created by

Eric Kennington

Artist and sculptor. Born Chelsea.  Served on the Western Front in WW1 and wa...

Read More

Lucy Sampson

Studied at the Central School of Arts and Crafts. 

Read More