Built, or rebuilt, in 1775 by the architect Thomas Leverton (1743 – 1824). William Morris lived here as a child, 1840 - 47, having been born at Elm House.
From Theydon: 1869 - 1900 it was the Catherine Gladstone Free Convalescent Home for the Poor, with 30 beds, the only free institution for convalescents in England. The Home offered places to non-contagious and non-infectious women and children of the East End who were well enough to be discharged from the London Hospital, but were still weak and likely to benefit from fresh air and a nourishing country diet. All applicants underwent a medical examination at the Hospital, with Mrs Gladstone (wife of William) selecting the patients.
Demolished in 1900. 1902 South Woodford Memorial Hall was built at the front of the site.