Country house, built about 1750 for Henry Pratt. Lord Nelson arrived here in 1801 after his separation from his wife Fanny. In his time the grounds were extensive, a quarter square mile. He used the house to accommodate his mistress Emma Hamilton and to entertain his friends. We may have this wrong but it seems that Sir William Hamilton (the cuckold) lived here as well, at the same time. After Nelson's death, Lady Hamilton's lavish lifestyle forced her into debt, and the house was sold and eventually demolished. The picture purports to show Lady Hamilton and her daughter by Nelson, Horatia.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk