Stone: Nelson - SW19
Erection date: 1906
As a memorial of Lord Nelson and the splendid services which he rendered to his country, this land (which formed part of his Merton Estate) was given on the first centenary of his death to the Merton Parish Council for a public recreation ground by a great nephew of the late rear admiral Isaac Smith of Merton Abbey.
"The death" to which this inscription refers is Nelson's, so the gift was made on 21 October 1905 though the gardens were not opened until the following year. The land for the neighbouring church was given at the same time and St John the Divine built in 1914.
Interesting that Mackerell chose to honour Nelson rather than his own, not insignificant nautical ancestor, Smith.
Site: Nelson - SW19 (1 memorial)
SW19, Merton Road, Nelson Gardens
Nelson Gardens lie within what were once the extensive grounds of Merton Place, Nelson's home, but these was never within the boundary of Merton Abbey.