Building From 1882
Founded in 1882 by Constance Louisa Maynard and Ann Dudin Brown, as a residential women's college modelled on women's colleges already established in Oxford and Cambridge. The name probably came from the two houses in which it was founded; Westfield Villas. Women at Queen Mary gives an unlikely alternative. 1919 it became a full member of the University of London. Merged with Queen Mary College in in 1989.
The picture shows staff and students in 1889 in the back garden of Maresfield Gardens.