Architect. He designed a number of stations on the London Underground system, including the stations on the Edgware extension of the Northern Line, as well as train depots and bus and trolleybus garages for London Transport.
Apart from the information shown on his Wikipedia page, we know that Stanley Arthur Heaps was born on 17 May 1880, the youngest of the six children of Edward John Heaps (1843-1913) and Mary Ann Heaps née White (1841-1895). His birth was registered in the 2nd quarter of 1880 in the Islington registration district.
The 1881 census shows him living at the Hercules Tavern, 504 Holloway Road, Islington, with his parents, his five siblings: Alice Louisa Heaps (1872-1929), Florence Annie Heaps (1872-1885), Marion Helena Heaps (1873-1946), Frank Heaps (b.1874) and Harry Herbert George Heaps (1877-1929), together with a governess, a barman and a barmaid. His father was a licenced victualler.
On 27 April 1892 he was, together with an elder brother, Henry Herbert George Heaps, jointly baptised at Christ Church, Forest Hill, Surrey, where the baptismal records show that the family were living in Stanstead Road, Forest Hill, and that his father was recorded as a gentleman. Electoral registers in 1906 show that he was renting the front bedroom on the 2nd floor of 235 Stanstead Road, Forest Hill, from his father at 7 shillings & 6 pence per week, but this was reduced to 5 shillings per week in 1907.
On 12 September 1906 he married Edith Florence Pickett (1876-1961) at Christ Church, Forest Hill, where the marriage register showed him to be an architect living at Derwent House, South Road, Forest Hill, whilst his wife's address was given as 10 Garlies Road, Forest Hill. His sister, Marion Helena Heaps, had married his wife's brother, Arthur James Pickett (1870-1949), on 24 September 1898 at Christ Church, Forest Hill.
They had two children, Eric Stanley Heaps (1910-1985) who would serve as a Major in the Royal Armoured Corps during World War Two, being awarded a Military Cross, and Denis Arthur Heaps (1917-1990) who served as a Leading Signalman in the Royal Navy during the war and was awarded a Distinguished Service Medal.
In the 1911 census he is shown as an architect living in a six roomed property, 59 Houston Road, Forest Hill, SE London, with his wife, their son Eric Stanley Heaps and a female general domestic servant. This address was confirmed in the electoral registers from 1909 to 1912, but the registers for 1913 and 1914 show him listed at 67 Houston Road, Forest Hill.
Post Office London Directories in 1915 and 1920 show him as an architect at 17 Palmer Street, Westminster. Kelly's Surrey Directory in 1918 shows him residing at 23 Dornton Road, Croydon, Surrey.
On 23 October 1919 he was initiated as a Freemason in the Croham Hurst Lodge No.3968, that met at the Club House, Croham Hurst Golf Course, Croham Road, South Croydon, Surrey, giving his occupation as an architect living in Croydon.
Various ship manifests show him travelling 1st class around Europe. On 22 August 1930 he and his son Denis left Liverpool, Lancashire, on board the MV Cheshire of the Bibby Line for Marseilles, France, returning on 8 September 1930, arriving in the Port of London having travelled aboard the MV Shropshire of the Bibby Line. He arrived in Tilbury, Essex, on 7 August 1931 on the MV Cheshire of the Bibby Line having departed from Marseilles. He again departed for Marseilles on 21 August 1931 from Liverpool on the MV Staffordshire of the Bibby Line.
He departed from Liverpool, Lancashire, on 19 August 1932 as a passenger on the MV Shropshire for Marseilles. On 15 September 1933 he left Southampton, Hampshire, bound for Geona, Italy, on the 'Christiaan Huygens' of the Nederland Line Royal Dutch Mail and returned to the Port of London on board the MV Gloucestershire of the Bibby Line on 1 October 1933 having embarked at Marseilles
On 17 August 1934 he again departed from Southampton on board the 'Christiaan Huygens' of the Nederland Line Royal Dutch Mail for Ports Said, Egypt. All manifests show him as an architect residing at 23 Dornton Road, Croydon. He returned on 14 September 1934 arriving in the Port of London aboard the 'Carthage' of the Peninsula and Orient Steam Navigation Company Ltd line having embarked as a passenger at Port Said, giving his address as 55 Broadway, London, SW1.
On 2 September 1935 he arrived in the Port of London aboard the MV Worcestershire of the Bibby Line having embarked in Marseille. On 28 August 1936 he left Liverpool, as a passenger on the MV Derbyshire of the Biiby Line, bound for Marseilles and on 16 September 1936 he landed at Southampton having travelled from Genoa on the 'Marnix Van Sint Aldegonde' of the Nv Stv Mij Nederland shipping line. He gave his address on all manifests as 15 Chichester Road, Croydon.
Telephone directories from 1951 list him 16 Whitethorn Gardens, East Croydon. Probate records confirm this as his home address and that he died, aged 82 years, on 25 May 1962 at Arundel Lodge, Duppas Road, Croydon. Probate was granted to his son, Denis Arthur Heaps, a chartered quantity surveyor, on 16 September 1962 and his estate totalled £7,967-17s-9d.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk and Andrew Behan.