Underground Heritage information
Golders Green station
Architect: Unknown (Stanley Heaps alterations, 1923/24)
Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (now part of the Northern line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot. At the beginning of the 20th century Golders Green was a small rural hamlet with approximately one hundred houses, but the opening of the railway stimulated a rapid residential growth resulting in a large population increase. It became an important interchange for bus passengers, originally carried on trams and then trolleybuses. The station was substantially altered as part of the line extension to Edgware in 1922 - 24 that involved the demolition of many relatively new houses as the line carved its way through the suburban streets.
The subways and stairwells retain the original tile schemes, which although comprehensively refurbished in 2005, retain the original features such as the timber handrails with scrolled ends. On the platforms the timber benches with integrated roundels, analogue clocks and canopies with the timber valence still survive.
To the south of the station in the tunnels beneath Hampstead Heath is the partially built but uncompleted North End or Bull & Bush station.
Site: Golders Green Station (1 memorial)
NW11, North End Road
In our photo the sunlit plaque can be seen inside the building, between the heads of the travellers passing through the ticket barriers.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of plaquesoflondon.co.uk