Person    | Male  Born 2/3/1812  Died 2/5/1873

Samuel Sanders Teulon

Categories: Architecture

Gothic revival architect. Born Hillside, Crooms Hill, Greenwich, of Huguenot origin. He designed a number of churches, including the 1862 St Mark's in North Woolwich Road E16, now the Brick Lane Music Hall. And some country houses including the 1856-60 remodelling of Shadwell Lodge for the widowed Lady Hannah Buxton (née Fry, 1783–1872, married Thomas Fowell Buxton). Thus he was chosen for the Buxton memorial.

Died at home: Tensleys, The Green, Hampstead. A desk-based archaeological assessment says: "Notable occupants of Tensleys include the French diplomat Talleyrand ..., Sir Francis Palgrave ... and in the 1860’s and 1870’s by Samual Sanders Teulan {sic} ... the architect of St Stephen’s church constructed on the Green during the same period." Teulon's neighbour for many years was Sir Rowland Hill. St Stephen's is considered Teulon's masterpiece, though he died before completing it and it was finished by Ewan Christian.

Note: Since Teulon's St Marks church is nowhere near Brick Lane we were interested in why its current use is as the "Brick Lane Music Hall". We thought it must be something to do with Teulon's sponsors, the Buxtons and their brewery being in Brick Lane. But it seems that is just a co-incidence: the Music Hall started in 1992 in Brick Lane and has kept the name through its incarnations in Shoreditch and now Silvertown.

English Buildings have a good post on Teulon's church in Huntley, Gloucestershire.

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Samuel Sanders Teulon

Creations i

Buxton Memorial Fountain

Due to strong shadows it was only on our fourth visit that we managed to take...

Read More

Other Subjects

Frederick Wheeler

Frederick Wheeler

Architect, born Brixton. FRIBA, active 1900. See London Details for the studios he designed on Talgarth Road. Wikipedia refers to a number of London buildings designed by Wheeler, many in South Lon...

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Leyton Library

Leyton Library

Designed by John Knight, this originally opened as Leyton Town Hall. It was outgrown and a replacement town hall was built next door in 1896. The empty building was later repurposed as a library.

Building, Architecture

1 memorial
Messrs. Joseph

Messrs. Joseph

Architects who designed the 1935 Brady Settlement building. We wonder if this firm is connected to the Mrs N. S. Joseph who was one of the 1896 founders of the Brady Settlement.

Group, Architecture

1 memorial