St Joseph's Almshouses
Building From 1847
Roman Catholic almshouses, funded by Joseph and Mary Knight. Designed by Pugin, building began in 1847. 24 cottages were planned but only 18 built, in two blocks of 9, at the north-east corner of the site. Occupied quickly though not officially opening until 1855.
1958 extensively renovated and a block added on the east side at right angles to the original. Renovated again in 1985. Today there are ten cottages with a small garden which the residents maintain.