South London Hospital for Women
Building From 1912 To 1984
Hospital for women and children. Founded by surgeons Eleanor Davies-Colley and Maud Chadburn. Throughout its existence, it was staffed by women only. The original building was designed by Sir Edwin Cooper and was expanded over several decades. It was closed as being deemed uneconomic. In 1998, Tesco purchased the site and attempted to win permission to demolish the buildings, which was strongly contested by Lambeth Council and local pressure groups. As a compromise, the frontage was preserved and converted into flats with a supermarket hidden behind it. Unfortunately, English Heritage had refused to list the building and many fine interior features were destroyed.