mobile nav

Subject

Royal Free Hospital

Group  From 17/4/1828 

Categories: Medicine

Founded by William Marsden as the London General Institution for the Gratuitous Cure of Malignant Diseases on 17th April 1828 in a rented 4-storey house at 16 Greville Street, Hatton Garden. September 1833 the name changed to London Free Hospital (good move).  1835 it became the Free Hospital.  1837 Queen Victoria became its patron and it became the Royal Free Hospital.

1844 the hospital moved to the former barracks of the Light Horse Volunteers in Grays Inn Road.  These buildings were gradually expanded and rebuilt.  1929 the Eastman Dental Clinic opened next door. 1948 the Hospital became part of the NHS and joined a group of other hospitals one of which was the Hampstead General Hospital. 1974 the Hospital moved to a new building in Pond Street Hampstead and the Grays Inn Road site was closed.  The Pond Street building was officially opened by the Queen in 1978, on the Hospital’s 150th anniversary.  The Grays Inn Road buildings were taken over by the Eastman Dental Hospital in 1988.

All this information comes from the splendid Lost Hospitals.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Free Hospital

Information Commemorated at

75561

PP - 3H - Rabbeth

Samuel Rabbeth, medical officer of the Royal Free Hospital, who tried to save...

Read More

71867

Royal Free Hospital - 150 anniversary

This Mulberry was donated by the League of the Royal Free Hospital Nurses to ...

Read More

45203

Royal Free Hospital - development

The spelling of "honor" is not a mistake on our part.

Read More

45202

Royal Free Hospital - Sussex wing

"Blessed is the man that provideth for the sick and needy: the Lord shall del...

Read More

45219

William Marsden

Greater London Council William Marsden, 1796 - 1867, surgeon, founder of the...

Read More