Erection date: 1856
"Blessed is the man that provideth for the sick and needy: the Lord shall deliver him in the time of trouble." Psalm XLI
As a memorial in strict conformity with the tenor of the life of his late Royal Highness, Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex and therefore most fitting to perpetuate the memory of his many virtues this wing to the Royal Free Hospital was erected by public subscription A.D. 1856 in the nineteenth year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Victoria.
The Duke of Sussex had died just 3 years before this plaque was erected.
We think the architect of this wing was Dr John Samuel Phene - an eccentric man, information at Cheyne House.
Site: Royal Free Hospital (3 memorials)
WC1, Gray's Inn Road, Royal Free Hospital
What luck that a dental hospital should be housed in a building sporting dentile cornicing! There is a lot of history about this building and institute at UCL Eastman Dental Institute.
A caretaker told us these buildings used to be a barracks - there was a ramp for the horses to access the basement and posts to which they were tied still exist down there. He also said it is scheduled for redevelopment. We confirm that in 1842-4 the Royal Free Hospital moved here into ex-Army Barracks - see the splendid Lost Hospitals for more information and photographs.
The development plaque is in the entrance passage. The fountain and Sussex wing memorial are in the courtyard.