mobile nav

Subject

Salvation Army

Group  From 2/7/1865 

Categories: Religion, Social Welfare

A Protestant church internationally renowned for its charitable works. Founded as the "East London Christian Mission" or "Christian Revival Society" by William and Catherine Booth. Initially its meetings were held in the open air, but then moved into a tent on the Mile End Waste. The first of these meetings is taken as the origin of the 'East London Christian Mission'.  At a meeting at 272 Whitechapel Road on 7 August 1878 the Mission was reorganised along military lines and renamed the Salvation Army.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Salvation Army

Information Commemorated at

Show all 8

64461

Brent House Salvation Army maternity home

The halo and the baby would suggest the woman represented is the Virgin Mary ...

Read More

75910

Catherine Booth statue - Denmark Hill

The statue was dedicated on the centenary of Catherine Booth's birth, and aga...

Read More

76188

Catherine Booth statue - Mile End

{On the plaque attached to the front of the plinth:} Here, in East London, Ca...

Read More

64471

Hackney Salvation Army - 1 - Chief of the Staff

At this date the Chief of Staff was Bramwell Booth.

Read More

48054

Salvation Army - indoors

The first indoor meeting of the mission which became The Salvation Army was h...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Salvation Army

Information Creations

50362

Salvation Army Ronalds Road - east

{Top plaque:} This stone was laid by Mrs Onslow, for the glory of God and the...

Read More

51350

Salvation Army Ronalds Road - west

[Top plaque:} This stone was laid by Mrs Heywood Smith, for the glory of God ...

Read More