Group From 2/7/1865
A Protestant church internationally renowned for its charitable works. Founded as the "East London Christian Mission" or "Christian Revival Society" by William and Catherine Booth. Initially its meetings were held in the open air, but then moved into a tent on the Mile End Waste. The first of these meetings is taken as the origin of the 'East London Christian Mission'. At a meeting at 272 Whitechapel Road on 7 August 1878 the Mission was reorganised along military lines and renamed the Salvation Army.