John Rippon, DD
Person Male Born 29/4/1751 Died 17/12/1836
Baptist minister. In 1773 succeeded John Gill at two chapels in Southwark. 1833 the Carter Street mission house moved to New Park Street Chapel. We believe this was in what is now Park Street SE1, on the north side of the bend. Rippon served here for the rest of his life during which time the congregation increased greatly. It continue to do so and in 1861 moved to much larger premises which are still there, the Metropolitan Tabernacle at Elephant and Castle. Buried in Bunhill burial ground.