British History Online explains "The salt tax, which was unknown in England until 1694, was enforced during the greater part of the eighteenth century. The tax was repealed in 1730, but was reimposed at the suggestion of Sir Robert Walpole in 1732." That page is all about Buckingham Street and refers to The Salt Office being, variously, at numbers 12, 14, 19, over the years 1706-88. This is after York House has been demolished and redeveloped into a number of streets including Buckingham Street.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
The wording on the plaque could have been clearer. The first half is giving t...
Cafe owner and ice-dealer. Born Switzerland. Arrived in England in July 1847. Built up a French-style cafe business. In the 1850s he became the first seller of ice-cream to the masses. He had owned...
Pall Mall Restaurant
1 Cockspur Street
Founded: AD 1549. Rebuilt: AD 1923 The Ship Tavern This tavern was established in the year 1549. During the proscription of the Roman Catholic religion it was used as a shelter for priests and se...
Started by John Courage in Horselydown Lane. Ran the Anchor Brewery in Park Street 1955-86.
Bawley fishing boat
Whitebait were caught by this type of craft in the River Thames, until 1950. The picture source website tells us that the Bawley is a variation of the 'smack' type of ship. The name "is probably de...