Reverend William Cadman
Person Male Born 13/5/1815 Died 12/5/1891
Canon of Canterbury. Andrew Behan has kindly provided this research: The Reverend William Cadman M.A. was born on 13 May 1815 in Billinge, Wigan, Lancashire, the son of William and Mary Cadman. On 11 June 1815 he was baptised at St Aiden's Church, Main Street, Billinge, Wigan and the parish register shows both that the family were living in Winstanley and that his father was a farmer. He entered St Catherine's College, Cambridge University in 1835, gaining his Bachelor of Arts in 1839 and was ordained as a Deacon in Ely, Suffolk on 9 June 1839. He was ordained as a priest in the following year and served as a Curate in Lavenham and Brent Eleigh, Suffolk, from 1839 to 1844 during which time he gained his Master of Arts in 1842.
From 1844 to 1846 he was the Curate at St George's Church, Bloomsbury and from 1846 to 1852 he was the Minister of Park Chapel, Chelsea. On 30 September 1846 he married Lœtitia Ann Rose Snape (1812-1891) at Brent Eleigh, Suffolk and they had five children; Mary Lœtitia Cadman (1847-1906), Anna Margaret Cadman (1849-1935), Emily Ellen Cadman (1851-1916), William Snape Cadman (1853-1907) and John Montague Cadman (1856-1916). Both his sons were to become Vicars in various parishes. When his eldest daughter, Mary Lœtitia Cadman was baptised on 30 September 1847 the parish register shows the family living in Thistle Grove, West Brompton. The baptismal register for his second daughter, Anna Margaret Cadman, dated 19 December 1849 shows his address to be Manor Terrace, Chelsea and these registers show the address as 9 Manor Terrace, Chelsea, when his third daughter, Emily Ellen Cadman, was baptised on 14 July 1851.
He was the Rector of St George the Martyr, Southwark from 1852 to 1859 during which time he subdivided this enormous parish into manageable districts, organised a body of voluntary workers, opened ragged schools, built new school-rooms and obtained funds for the building of St Paul's Church, Lorrimore Square, Newington. (This Gothic revival style church was almost completely destroyed in the London Blitz and rebuilt 1959-60 in the modernist, reinforced concrete buttressed form that exists today). The baptismal records of his two sons, William Snape Cadman, dated 4 February 1853 and John Montague Cadman, dated 9 April 1856, show him living at 9 The Paragon, Old Kent Road, Southwark.
He was the Rector of Holy Trinity Church, Marylebone from 1859 until he died and the 1861 census shows him living at 6 Albany Terrace, Marylebone, with his family, two female house servants, a cook and a nurse. The family were all shown at the same address on the 1871 census with a cook and three house-maids. During 1871-72 he occupied the post of being a Select Preacher at Cambridge University where he proved to be a great evangelical leader, a powerful and popular preacher. He was a Prebendary at St Paul's Cathedral from 1874 to 1883. The 1881 census shows him still living at 6 Albany Terrace, Marylebone, with his wife, three daughters and his elder son, William Snape Cadman who was working with him as the Curate at Holy Trinity Church, Marylebone, together with a cook, two house-maids and a general servant.
He was appointed as Chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury and was made a Canon of Canterbury in 1883 becoming a Rural Dean from 1889. His wife died on 12 January 1891 and he was the executor of her will, her estate totalling £327-10s-10d. The 1891 census confirms he was still living at 6 Albany Terrace, Marylebone, with his three daughters and four female domestic servants. He died, aged 75 years, one day short of 76th birthday, on 12 May 1891, at home and was buried at St Martin's Church, North Holmes Road, Canterbury, Kent. His two sons were executors of his will and his estate originally totalled £6,901-4s-10d, but was re-sworn in November 1891 when it totalled £7,535-12s-4d.