Orange Street Chapel
Building From 1693 To 1913
Also known as the Leicester Fields chapel. Founded by Huguenot refugees who fled from France at the time of the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. Occupied:
- 1693-1776 by the Huguenots,
- 1776-1787 by members of the Church of England,
- 1787-1888 by Congregational Dissenters.
There is an 1888 book "Lux Benigna, being the history of Orange Street Chapel..."
From Orange Street Church: "... shortly before the outbreak of the First World War, Westminster Council served a demolition order on the church claiming it was unsafe." and then in 1925 used some of the site for their new library. "On the rest of the site the present temporary chapel was erected. On Sunday 16th June 1929, the re-opening service was conducted."
The Rev. Augustus M. Toplady, author of 'Rock of Ages' was one of its CofE ministers.